Arsenal winger Willian will reportedly leave the club this summer alongside fellow Brazilian David Luiz, as per Fabrizio Romano.
The winger came over from Chelsea last summer and still has two years left on his deal. During his time at the Emirates, the 32-year-old hasn’t really hit the heights witnessed in west London, scoring just one goal this season.
The Brazilian featured regularly in Arteta’s plans at the start of the season, but his form kept dipping and the winger soon found himself down the pecking order. To his credit, former Blue did get seven assists for the club.
Romano, a journalist well-known for his exclusive information on many football stories, broke the news on his Twitter account. He tweeted:
“After David Luiz, also Willian is expected to leave Arsenal this summer.”
The Italian also mentioned where Willian could be headed in the summer. Romano added:
“There’s interest from European clubs and from MLS – Inter Miami wanted him last summer. Arsenal are waiting for official bids.”
After David Luiz, also Willian is expected to leave Arsenal this summer. ⚪️🔴 #AFC
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) May 16, 2021
The good news for the north Londoners is that they will get some fee for a player who joined on a free transfer. With the winger valued at €12m, anything close to that would represent a significant profit over the investment made. Willian came to the club with a lot of expectations but has been unable to fulfil them. Though he has been tried out in multiple positions, the Brazilian failed to make an impact.
With the Gunners looking to rebuild, they could be looking for a younger option. The winger will soon turn 33 and would take away minutes from younger players such as Reiss Nelson and Gabriel Martinelli. The good thing is that this exit will allow those at the Emirates to consider alternatives internally.
There will likely be solid interest in the player and Arsenal will be keen on getting a deal done quickly, as those funds can be used to improve the squad. Though his time in north London wasn’t a roaring success, there were a few moments to remember.
- Arsenal vs Tottenham: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Provisional Line-ups
- How And Where To Bet On Arsenal
- Arsenal vs Norwich City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Arsenal’s chances of winning a cup trophy this season
- Arsenal’s September 2021 Fixtures preview
- Manchester City vs Arsenal: Premier League Preview
- Arsenal shouldn’t think twice about moving deadwood
- Lacklustre debut reaffirms need for creativity
- Arsenal reportedly interested in Bruno Guimarães: A further insight
- Arsenal 4-1 Watford: Match report and Player Ratings