According to the Daily Mail Theo Walcott is to open talks over a new deal, it would be his second new deal in the space of two years if he puts pen to paper as many fans would hope.
Failure to reach an agreement with Walcott would see him enter into his final year next campaign and that is something Wenger and the club would be keen to avoid such a thing as this has come back to bite Arsenal in a big way historically. The sale of Robin Van Persie is still fresh in the memory banks of the Arsenal faithful and a repeat of that would be unforgivable.
Walcott returning to first team action as a substitute at the weekend in the 3-0 home win against Burnley, he is also expected to feature tonight against Anderlecht where Arsenal will be looking to edge even closer to progression from this year’s group stage.
Walcott’s progression has been gradual at the Emirates but now looks like a real asset; in 2012/13 he had a very good season where he scored 14 goals in 32 Premier League games also creating 38 other chances in those games. Unfortunately the following season was not as successful due the injury he picked up against Tottenham in the FA Cup win. Last season he scored 5 goals in 13 League games.
Walcott penned a contract in 2013 which saw him pocket £90,000 a week and it is imperative they tie him down again, Walcott has the best years ahead of him at the age of 25 and can form a formidable partnership with new boy Alexis Sanchez.
Wenger confirmed: ‘We are starting to sit down with him. He has one and a half years to go in December. It is never an easy job with him.
- Arsenal vs Tottenham: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Provisional Line-ups
- How And Where To Bet On Arsenal
- Arsenal vs Norwich City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Arsenal’s chances of winning a cup trophy this season
- Arsenal’s September 2021 Fixtures preview
- Manchester City vs Arsenal: Premier League Preview
- Arsenal shouldn’t think twice about moving deadwood
- Lacklustre debut reaffirms need for creativity
- Arsenal reportedly interested in Bruno Guimarães: A further insight
- Arsenal 4-1 Watford: Match report and Player Ratings