Arsenal signed Thomas partey from Atletico Madrid on deadline day.
The 27 year old midfielder’s father has now revealed the Partey was waiting for an offer from a big club amid interest from Juventus and Chelsea.
It seems that the Gunners were his first preference and the Arsenal fans will be delighted with the revelation.
The midfielder’s father also revealed that he instructed the player to join a club where there is no Champions League football and help them secure a top four finish.
His father said: “We actually weren’t disturbed by anything because we hoped a bigger team will come for Partey. We were aware of the [other teams that were interested]: Juventus, Chelsea and so forth. So through all of this we knew God was with us. From that minute we started to dance to ‘Party after Party’. What I [noticed] was that he was willing to play where there is Champions League [football] but [I suggested to him that] can’t he be where there is no Champions League and help them get into the Champions League?”.
Arsenal have missed out on Champions League football in the recent years and they will be determined to get back into the competition at the end of this season.
It will be interesting to see if Partey can help them get back amongst the European elite.
Arsenal have spent £45 million on the midfielder and they will be hoping for an instant impact this season.
Partey was a big success in Spain and he has the quality to succeed in the Premier League as well. The midfielder showed his quality against the likes of Liverpool in the Champions League and it will be interesting to see if he gets a chance to impress for his new club this weekend.
- Arsenal vs Fulham preview: buoyant Gunners plot march up the league table
- Eddie Nketiah and Reiss Nelson: The Forgotten Arsenal Youngsters
- ‘It is a joy to watch’, Mikel Arteta praises Arsenal duo
- Arsenal’s hope of playing European football next season hangs by a thread
- Europa League preview: Slavia Prague vs Arsenal
- Leno: ‘I am open for new adventures’
- Arsenal enter race to sign Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard
- Can Arsenal finish in the top 6?
- Alexandre Lacazette steps up for Arsenal against Sheffield United
- Arsenal cruise past Sheffield United in impressive fashion