It is the worst kept secret in football that Arsenal and Theo Walcott have entered into contract negotiations following the club’s FA Cup success, now it looks as if Walcott is ready to sign a contract extension for the cup winners.
It had previously been believed that one stumbling block over Walcott‘s apprehension to sign on the dotted line was his lack of game time following his comeback from injury, with two impressive displays utilised as a striker in the final home game against West Bromwich Albion and the triumphant FA Cup final thrashing of Aston Villa, this looks to have put his mind at ease.
The England winger, 26, is expected to put pen to paper on a new 3 year deal this summer, seeing his wages spike, this would see Walcott pocket around £150,000 a week.
Walcott‘s current deal runs out next summer but Arsene Wenger wants to nip this in the bud, so to speak. Walcott is an integral part of Arsenal‘s attack and has had to sit by and watch as Alexis Sanchez has excelled in his first season at the Emirates.
Interest from other clubs
It was widely reported that premier league rivals Liverpool were interested in Walcott‘s services, it was even suggested that he could be used as a makeweight in a move for Raheem Sterling, this now looks wide of the mark.
Walcott moved to Arsenal from Southampton in 2006 and is now part of the furniture, the attacker is currently away with England and expected to feature in their Euro 2016 qualifier away in Slovenia today before recuperating ahead of next season.
It remains to be seen whether the 26 year old will be used as a winger or a striker next season, if the player gets his wishes it will be the latter. Wenger appears to be in the market for a striker this summer but if he fails in his pursuit, he will have someone in his ranks capable of deputising for Olivier Giroud.
- North London Derby performance a cause for celebration
- Arsenal vs Tottenham: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Provisional Line-ups
- How And Where To Bet On Arsenal
- Arsenal vs Norwich City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Arsenal’s chances of winning a cup trophy this season
- Arsenal’s September 2021 Fixtures preview
- Manchester City vs Arsenal: Premier League Preview
- Arsenal shouldn’t think twice about moving deadwood
- Lacklustre debut reaffirms need for creativity
- Arsenal reportedly interested in Bruno Guimarães: A further insight