A lot of fans looked at the new season with hope distilled in the presence of new signing Alexis Sanchez.
But that hope seems to be weighed down with that usual problem, a lack of a world class striker, which was ever obvious in our first game of the season against Crystal Palace, Yaya Sanogo looked nothing like a world class striker he just looked like he could not hack it at front, he looked lost and scared of the ball.
The game against Besiktas wasn’t much better, 0-0 draw and another toothless performance from Arsenal. Giroud looked terrible up front, I am a fan of Giroud but we need a world class striker, Giroud just looks like he can’t really cut it as our main frontman.
With not long to go till the end of the transfer window worry berates our once strong hope of a good season and it has nothing to do with our frugal dealings in this window as we have spent money.
But we need a striker, Sanogo is not good enough whether he could be one day is beside the point, Giroud has good games and bad games but he looks better when he’s assisting rather than a main goal scorer. Joel Campbell is still untested but we do need to use him more.
It is that age old question will Wenger look for a world class striker?
With Ozil and Sanchez in our squad all is missing is that fox in the box, I still think Balotelli would still be a good option.
There have been tentative talk about links to Cavani or Falcao, but so far just seem like unfounded talk. If Wenger does not bring in a striker it will totally undermine the rather good business he has done so far in the window, to not bring in a striker will more than likely be very costly in our battle to win more trophies this season.
There have been talks of Samuel Eto’o as well I’m not very keen on the idea but I’m not that stupid to be angry if we did sign him, I just think we need to be clever and Eto’o would be a lazy signing as it would be more a stop gap till the next window and Eto’o didn’t really shine at Chelsea- well in my opinion anyway, I am just hoping this talk of another big name signing is true and its a striker.
What have we learned so far?
– Sanogo is pretty much Bendtner in disguise he is no way ready to be our main striker
– Olivier Giroud has yet to show he is a proper striker but is still good enough to stay as his hold up play and presence is still worth keeping
– Sanchez who has shown glimpses of his talent may look like his arsenal career may be a slow one but do expect good things from him
– Callum Chambers was worth the gamble as he looks good
– Joel Campbell needs more chances to see what he’s made off.
– and the big one of course is that we do need a striker to challenge the title this season.
The most worrying thing is we need to win the home game against Besiktas otherwise no champion league football for us which will only herald a downward spiral.
Thanks for reading
- Breaking down Brentford vs Arsenal – betting insights & predictions
- A Must-Win London Derby – Arsenal Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Brentford
- Arsenal players in the international break
- Arsenal expected to make winning return to Champions League
- Arsenal’s Number 14 Shirt: Who Has Worn It and How Have They Fared?
- Arsenal flop Nicolas Pepe set to join Trabzonspor
- Arsenal this weekend: Man United set to visit the Emirates & transfers to expect before deadline day
- Will Arsenal Be Able to Keep Hold of Mikel Arteta?
- 3 players that Arsenal should target before the transfer window closes
- Preview: Arsenal vs Fulham – prediction, team news, line-ups