Arsenal are set to have a decision on their hands, with reported target Gonzalo Higuain apparently attracting real interest from Napoli. The Serie A side, who have recently sold Edinson Cavani to Paris Saint-Germain, are thought to have had an offer in excess of £30 million accepted by Real Madrid and as such are in the ascendancy in the race to sign the talented Argentine.
Earlier in the summer it looked as though it was only a matter of time before Higuain moved to the Emirates, with our favourite sports betting company dramatically shortening the odds on the South American moving to north London. However, a deal was not completed and the whole saga seems to have stalled over the last fortnight.
Napoli finished second in Serie A last season, and after the sale of Cavani will look for a big-name striker to lead their line next term. The San Paolo club have a rich history of Argentinian players at the club, such as Maradona and more recently Ezequiel Lavezzi, and are certainly not short of cash following Cavani’s sale.
Arsenal also have money to spend, but Arsene Wenger has seemingly continued in his usual pragmatic approach to the transfer window. Although other names, such as Luis Suarez, are being linked with a move to the Gunners, Higuain must still be in the club’s sights.
The fee to sign Higuain and match Napoli’s offer would be a new club record fee, but less than what Arsenal would need to pay Liverpool for Suarez. Higuain’s pedigree is second to none, and he would certainly bring a real goalscoring threat to the club – one that could help the Gunners sustain a Premier League title challenge.
The remainder of the transfer saga surrounding Higuain will show Arsenal’s ambitions ahead of the new season. Should Wenger decide to splash the cash in an attempt to bring him to the Emirates, it will be seen as a real statement of intent and a boost to the squad. However, should Napoli’s bid not be matched it will lead to frustration and annoyance amongst a fanbase that is desperate for some big-name signings.
- Arsenal 4-1 Watford: Match report and Player Ratings
- Atletico Madrid interested in signing Alexandre Lacazette
- Arsenal’s midfield dilemma: What can be done?
- Arsenal transfer round-up: Ramsdale, White
- The striker dilemma at Arsenal
- Arsenal beat Milwall behind closed doors: Match report and Player Ratings
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison
- Arsenal agree contract extension with Emile Smith Rowe
- Tammy Abraham to Arsenal: Do the Gunners need him?
- Arsenal cancel pre-season trip to US