Speaking ahead of the game against Everton, Mikel Arteta said that his squad should make no excuses despite the impact of the European Super League..
The North London club were among the six clubs to confirm their involvement in the league but they backtracked along with other English clubs within 48 hours. They now have to focus on the Premier League match against Everton on Friday, but the shadow of last week’s events remains.
Mikel Arteta is hoping that his team would not be too affected by what has happened off the pitch. When asked about the impact of this on the game against the Toffees, the Spaniard responded(via Arsenal’s official website):
“I don’t know, we tried to speak to them and we had a conversation with them. Vinai spoke in front of all of them and explained what happened, so hopefully they are in a good place.
“It was a big shock for all of them at first to go through, a lot to read and a lot of opinions and a lot to digest. But it’s not an excuse. We have a game tomorrow and this is the most important thing. Let’s go and beat Everton.”
The Gunners boss has a special relationship with the Toffeemen as the Spaniard spent many successful years there as a player. When asked about what this match meant to him, he added:
“It’s a very special one. Again, for the memories that I have and the experiences that I had and because I am really attached to that football club and the people who runs it as well.”
It would help the North Londoners a lot if they could get the three points on Friday. But it will not at all be easy as the visitors will make life difficult at the Emirates. Everton currently sit ahead of the hosts in the league table and that shows how good their squad has been this season.
Arsenal will want to get back to winning ways on Friday as that will give them a lot of momentum heading into next week’s Europa League semi-final. There has been a lot happening around the club but if the team perform well, it will make the fans and the manager happy.
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison
- Arsenal agree contract extension with Emile Smith Rowe
- Tammy Abraham to Arsenal: Do the Gunners need him?
- Arsenal cancel pre-season trip to US
- Lesson from pre-season: What did Arsenal learn?
- Mikel Arteta reacts to draw against Rangers
- An overview on Arsenal’s Scotland preseason tour- player ratings for both games
- Three Premier League clubs interested in Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal predicted line-up against Rangers
- Tavares, Chambers, Tierney – Arsenal Team News against Rangers