Arsenal Football Club has announced the signing of defender Laurent Koscielny from French Ligue 1 side Lorient on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.
Full Name Laurent Koscielny
Born September 10, 1985, Tulle, France
Previous Clubs Lorient (France), 2009-2010 – 40 appearances, 3 goals
Tours (France), 2007-2009 – 34 appearances, 4 goals
En Avant Guingamp (France), 2004-2007, 40 appearances, 0 goals
Transfer details Long-term contract for an undisclosed fee
Squad Number 6
Although born in France, uncapped Koscielny, who helped Lorient to seventh place in the French league championship last season, would also qualify to represent the Poland national team as a result of his family roots.
Manager Arsène Wenger said: “Koscielny is a central defender with great ability who performed extremely well last season for Lorient. We identified him as a very strong centre half, who has made big progress very quickly. He has shown he is mentally strong, he’s a fighter and a very strong competitor. Koscielny is a great addition to our squad.”
New Arsenal player Koscielny said: “I’m very excited to be joining Arsenal. They are one of the biggest teams in Europe with many great players. I’m really looking forward to playing in the English Premier League and the Champions League with my new club. Also, in Arsène Wenger, Arsenal has one of the best managers in the world and I can’t wait to work with him and do my best for the Arsenal supporters.”
We have been waiting for the first defensive signing of this season and here he is, finally. He seems to have a lot of passion and if he has an impact like Vermaelen did last season then he will be a steal for the alleged 8.5m. He doesn’t have much top level experience but Wenger wouldn’t of persued him like he did unless he really believed he was good enough and was able to cope with the premier league, only time will tell. I would like to see us sign another CB but there is still plenty of time for that. I’m just glad right now that we have our man.
Welcome to Arsenal Laurent. Wear the shirt with pride and look forward to seeing you play.
Visit the forum to debate www.ArsenalAction.com/forum
- Arsenal beat Milwall behind closed doors: Match report and Player Ratings
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison
- Arsenal agree contract extension with Emile Smith Rowe
- Tammy Abraham to Arsenal: Do the Gunners need him?
- Arsenal cancel pre-season trip to US
- Lesson from pre-season: What did Arsenal learn?
- Mikel Arteta reacts to draw against Rangers
- An overview on Arsenal’s Scotland preseason tour- player ratings for both games
- Three Premier League clubs interested in Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal predicted line-up against Rangers