Mikel Arteta is making plans for next season and has already identified four positions that Arsenal need to get new players in, as per the Telegraph.
The Spaniard is currently under a lot of pressure after exiting the Europa League. Losing to Villarreal on Thursday meant that the Gunners have a very difficult shot at securing European football for next season. It can be achieved through the Premier League, but other team’s results would have to go their way.
According to the Telegraph, the positions that the boss has identified are a right back given that Hector Bellerin is expected to leave, and a backup left back to provide cover for Kieran Tierney. Another position being looked at is that of a striker with Alexandre Lacazette soon to be entering the final year of his contract.
The other position that Arteta wants to be strengthened is central midfield. The report claims that both Lucas Torreira and Matteo Guendouzi will be sold this summer which will leave the North Londoners with very few central midfielders. Also, the on-loan duo of Dani Ceballos and Martin Odegaard are expected to return to Real Madrid at the end of the season.
As for the players that will be brought into the club, it will depend on who the Emirates side is able to offload in the summer. Apart from the players mentioned above, there is uncertainty over the futures of Eddie Nketiah, David Luiz, and Calum Chambers as per the Telegraph. The report also claims that there is a doubt over the future of Bernd Leno too. If the keeper should leave, the Gunners are looking at replacing him with Andre Onana of Ajax.
Based on the performances this season, it is clear that the squad needs an injection of quality. The positions identified by the manager are ones that need to be reinforced and the management considering this is good for the club. With this campaign being bitterly disappointing, an improved squad could help the North Londoners in 2021/22.
We will perhaps have to wait and see who Arsenal are able to sell first, before they make any signings. But it is good to know that they are prepared to target the right positions. Arteta during his time at the Emirates has shown that he wants a specific style of play. Getting the personnel needed to execute this would help the team enormously.
- Breaking down Brentford vs Arsenal – betting insights & predictions
- A Must-Win London Derby – Arsenal Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Brentford
- Arsenal players in the international break
- Arsenal expected to make winning return to Champions League
- Arsenal’s Number 14 Shirt: Who Has Worn It and How Have They Fared?
- Arsenal flop Nicolas Pepe set to join Trabzonspor
- Arsenal this weekend: Man United set to visit the Emirates & transfers to expect before deadline day
- Will Arsenal Be Able to Keep Hold of Mikel Arteta?
- 3 players that Arsenal should target before the transfer window closes
- Preview: Arsenal vs Fulham – prediction, team news, line-ups