Mikel Arteta is making plans for next season and has already identified four positions that Arsenal need to get new players in, as per the Telegraph.
The Spaniard is currently under a lot of pressure after exiting the Europa League. Losing to Villarreal on Thursday meant that the Gunners have a very difficult shot at securing European football for next season. It can be achieved through the Premier League, but other team’s results would have to go their way.
According to the Telegraph, the positions that the boss has identified are a right back given that Hector Bellerin is expected to leave, and a backup left back to provide cover for Kieran Tierney. Another position being looked at is that of a striker with Alexandre Lacazette soon to be entering the final year of his contract.
The other position that Arteta wants to be strengthened is central midfield. The report claims that both Lucas Torreira and Matteo Guendouzi will be sold this summer which will leave the North Londoners with very few central midfielders. Also, the on-loan duo of Dani Ceballos and Martin Odegaard are expected to return to Real Madrid at the end of the season.
As for the players that will be brought into the club, it will depend on who the Emirates side is able to offload in the summer. Apart from the players mentioned above, there is uncertainty over the futures of Eddie Nketiah, David Luiz, and Calum Chambers as per the Telegraph. The report also claims that there is a doubt over the future of Bernd Leno too. If the keeper should leave, the Gunners are looking at replacing him with Andre Onana of Ajax.
Based on the performances this season, it is clear that the squad needs an injection of quality. The positions identified by the manager are ones that need to be reinforced and the management considering this is good for the club. With this campaign being bitterly disappointing, an improved squad could help the North Londoners in 2021/22.
We will perhaps have to wait and see who Arsenal are able to sell first, before they make any signings. But it is good to know that they are prepared to target the right positions. Arteta during his time at the Emirates has shown that he wants a specific style of play. Getting the personnel needed to execute this would help the team enormously.
- How will Arsenal approach the 2021-22 season?
- Arsenal considering swap deal involving Lucas Torreira and Joaquin Correa
- Arsenal plotting move for Leicester City midfielder
- Alexandre Lacazette Situation – To sell or not?
- ‘He is absolutely elite’ – Arsenal fans excited by Sambi Lokonga transfer links
- Arsenal defender is a major doubt for Scotland’s crucial clash against England
- Arsenal’s opening bid for Belgian midfielder rejected
- Is Arsenal still the best club for young players?
- The Approach That Arsenal Will Have in The Summer Transfer Period
- Arsenal’s transfer bid for Nabil Fekir rejected by Real Betis