Mikel Arteta has insisted that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is totally committed to Arsenal after Thursday’s Europa League game, as per club’s official website.
The 31-year-old signed a new three-year contract at the beginning of the season and in 33 appearances so far this season, the striker has scored 14 goals for the North London club including nine in the Premier League.
Since signing the new deal, the forward has looked a bit inconsistent and not up to his usual standards. There was also the incident of him arriving late for the North London derby and as a result of which, he was benched.
Despite all of this, Arteta told Arsenal’s official website that the Gabonese forward is a player who remains committed to the club’s cause. When he was asked about the player’s commitment after the first leg against Slavia Prague, this is what he had to tell the Independent:
Speaking on the impact the captain had after coming on from the bench, Arteta added:
“Yes, because we talked before – in the Europa League everyone has contributed in different ways, the whole squad has been involved and yesterday’s role for him (was) he was sat on the bench and to make an impact and he made an impact. He assisted Nico and should have scored a tap-in with his left foot and that’s what the players have to do when they come in.”
Aubameyang had a crucial role to play in the Emirates club getting their only goal of the Europa League quarterfinal against Slavia Prague. His presence made the attack more potent, and the team looked more likely to score in his presence. This type of performance would have certainly encouraged the boss.
The Gabonese still has a role to play for Arsenal this season and there is every chance that the forward will improve his goal tally. He will get the chances and the onus is on him to ensure that they are converted. Being the captain, there will be some added responsibility on him. Arteta will be hoping that the player will be able to deliver on the pitch in the way we have seen him do earlier.
- Arsenal legend claims current Gunners player won’t make his team
- Arsenal Predicted Line-up Against Villarreal
- Tierney, Lacazette – Arsenal Team News vs Villarreal
- Arteta refuses to rule Luiz out of Villarreal clash
- David Luiz could leave Arsenal this summer
- Bernd Leno could leave Arsenal this summer
- Santi Cazorla reminisces about time with Arsenal
- Arsenal Supporters’ Trust hold constructive meeting with Daniel Ek
- Santi Cazorla backs Mikel Arteta to succeed at Arsenal
- Daniel Ek has reached out to Kroenke family, Thierry Henry confirms