Mikel Arteta is highly impressed with Arsenal midfielder Joe Willock’s consistency during his loan spell at Newcastle United, as per Express.
The 21-year-old has been an integral part of the North Londoners this season making 17 appearances before joining the Magpies on-loan in February. Since making the move up north, the midfielder has played an important role in their fight to remain in the Premier League. He has scored three crucial goals in just nine games.
Willock was in the headlines this week after scoring a late winner against West Ham United. And when Arteta was asked about the midfielder’s performances since moving to Tyneside, this is what the boss had to tell the Express:
“Yeah, I’m really happy with Joe because he scored a massive goal for the club. So, when he produces big moments like that it’s very satisfying. Joe can do it he’s got the ability and the desire and now he’s having more consistency in terms of minutes and performances and that’s great for his development.”
And as for the youngster himself, this is what he had to say after scoring the winning goal against the Hammers:
“I was happy though. I have been working on my heading. So, I was happy it paid off today.”
It is good for the Gunners to have one of their assets get some quality game time away from the Emirates. In London, it would have been difficult for him to play much given the quality in the squad. But after his spell with Newcastle, Willock will return a more confident player as this experience will aid the Englishman in becoming a better midfielder.
Arsenal will have to make a decision on what to do with the on-loan Newcastle player once the season wraps up. With players such as Dani Ceballos and Martin Odegaard returning to their parent clubs, it may open the door for another opportunity. Willock is at an age where he should be moving onto the next level in his career. After impressing in a limited number of games, the youngster has rekindled the possibility of cementing his place in Arteta’s side next season.
- Freddie Ljungberg calls for change after Europa League exit
- Arsenal make decision over Mikel Arteta’s future after Europa League exit
- Arsenal’s 2020/21 summer shopping list
- If Mikel Arteta leaves, here are four managers to help improve Arsenal
- Arsenal interested in Ajax goalkeeper Onana
- Arsenal vs West Bromwich Albion – Premier League Preview, Team News, Predicted Line-ups
- Aaron Ramsey is keen on Arsenal return this summer
- Mikel Arteta reacts to Arsenal’s Europa League exit
- The Nicolas Pepe show – What Arsenal need against Villarreal
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: This is one of the biggest games of my Arsenal career