Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has revealed that he has no regrets about allowing Emiliano Martinez to leave the club for Aston Villa earlier this summer.
The Argentine keeper left Arsenal after spending eight years with them so that he can play regular first team football and his move to Aston Villa has worked out well so far.
Martinez has been outstanding for Dean Smith’s side and he will be hoping to build on his impressive start.
Arteta revealed that he sat down and spoke to the player before he decided to leave and both parties decided that it was the right thing to do.
Arteta said: “When we sat down and we believed it was the right thing to do. He was still very willing to get the No.1 shirt and play regularly but we had to give him the choice to decide where he wanted to play. He has earned a lot of respect in this country, he has been here for 10 years and with his performances for us in the last few months. He believed it was the right club for him so I was happy to let him go and make the right decision for his career. His start there hasn’t surprised me. He has become really hungry, really competitive and really clear about what he wanted to do in the next chapter of his career, so I am sure he will be a success.”
Martinez will certainly be happy with his decision to move on. He’s a regular starter for Aston Villa and at this stage of his career, that is exactly what he needed.
The Argentine will now be hoping to hold down a regular starting berth for his country as well.
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta also backed the player to succeed in his career because he’s really hungry and competitive.
- Can Arsenal qualify for next season’s Champions League after Tottenham fiasco?
- Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Southampton vs Arsenal Preview & Arsenal Transfer News Updates
- Arsenal April 2022 Preview: Chelsea and Man Utd stand in way of top-four finish
- Saka’s goalscoring record, Arsenal’s improved away form and Leno’s form
- Aston Villa vs Arsenal: Preview, Team News, Line-ups and Prediction￼
- Arsenal’s March 2022 Schedule & Predictions
- Lionel Messi heaps praise on Arsenal-linked Lautaro Martinez
- Arsenal Told to Let Alexandre Lacazette’s Contract Run Out
- Arsenal vs Burnley: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups