Argentine Goalkeeper Damian Emiliano Martinez was signed from Independiente in 2010 and thus far has only played in the league Cup. He made his Arsenal senior debut in the 6-1 win over Coventry in 2012, this was then followed by an appearance against reading in the next round which Arsenal eventually one 7-5 after trailing 4-0. he has been used sparingly but now needs to step up to the plate.
It now looks like Martinez is set to make his Champions League debut in Anderlecht on Wednesday. Wojcech Szczesny is suspended due to the red card he collected at home to Galatasary and with Colombian keeper David Ospina injured options are limited and Martinez is the next natural choice.
Martinez spent time at Sheffield Wednesday last season and found the experience invaluable and has claimed he has toughened up and ready to stake a claim.
“I’ve been working on being more commanding in the box. I didn’t have any experience before and I went to the Championship, which is all about crosses and making the right decision”
“I learnt a lot because I played nearly 20 games so I’m a completely different keeper now. I was working really hard and I played really well in quite a few wins and gained a lot of experience.
“I’ve been working with Wojciech for nearly four years already. Since I came to Arsenal I’ve been working with him.”
It will be a baptism of fire for the Arsenal rookie but will be an valuable experience no matter the outcome
- Arsenal vs Tottenham: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Provisional Line-ups
- How And Where To Bet On Arsenal
- Arsenal vs Norwich City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Arsenal’s chances of winning a cup trophy this season
- Arsenal’s September 2021 Fixtures preview
- Manchester City vs Arsenal: Premier League Preview
- Arsenal shouldn’t think twice about moving deadwood
- Lacklustre debut reaffirms need for creativity
- Arsenal reportedly interested in Bruno Guimarães: A further insight
- Arsenal 4-1 Watford: Match report and Player Ratings