Argentine Goalkeeper Damian Emiliano Martinez was signed from Independiente in 2010 and thus far has only played in the league Cup. He made his Arsenal senior debut in the 6-1 win over Coventry in 2012, this was then followed by an appearance against reading in the next round which Arsenal eventually one 7-5 after trailing 4-0. he has been used sparingly but now needs to step up to the plate.
It now looks like Martinez is set to make his Champions League debut in Anderlecht on Wednesday. Wojcech Szczesny is suspended due to the red card he collected at home to Galatasary and with Colombian keeper David Ospina injured options are limited and Martinez is the next natural choice.
Martinez spent time at Sheffield Wednesday last season and found the experience invaluable and has claimed he has toughened up and ready to stake a claim.
“I’ve been working on being more commanding in the box. I didn’t have any experience before and I went to the Championship, which is all about crosses and making the right decision”
“I learnt a lot because I played nearly 20 games so I’m a completely different keeper now. I was working really hard and I played really well in quite a few wins and gained a lot of experience.
“I’ve been working with Wojciech for nearly four years already. Since I came to Arsenal I’ve been working with him.”
It will be a baptism of fire for the Arsenal rookie but will be an valuable experience no matter the outcome
- Alexandre Lacazette Situation – To sell or not?
- ‘He is absolutely elite’ – Arsenal fans excited by Sambi Lokonga transfer links
- Arsenal defender is a major doubt for Scotland’s crucial clash against England
- Arsenal’s opening bid for Belgian midfielder rejected
- Is Arsenal still the best club for young players?
- The Approach That Arsenal Will Have in The Summer Transfer Period
- Arsenal’s transfer bid for Nabil Fekir rejected by Real Betis
- Marcel Sabitzer – The Bargain That Arsenal Need To Focus On
- Vinai Venkatesham at loggerheads with Arsenal over European Super League involvement
- How Kieran Tierney will influence Scotland at the Euros