The 21 year old Arsenal Striker who has spent yet another season out on loan gaining much needed games and experience was the standout performer in Costa Rica’s second half demolition of Group D favourites Uruguay. Campbell had spent last season in Greece with Champions League outfit Olympiakos, he was mainly deployed as a winger where he scored 8 goals in 32 games most notably scoring the winner in a 2-0 home win over Manchester United in the last 16 knockout stages.
Joel Campbell was a threat all game for the Uruguayan defence and was at the heart of everything Costa Rica created, in one half of football he showed why Arsene Wenger has always said that he will remain at the club and why he expects big things from the Striker. He can play anywhere in a front three but looks at his best through the middle.
Where would he play?
I can see him being deployed wide mostly and would be a good foil for Olivier Giroud who in times last season really struggle with a lack of support. Campbell offers a lot and has many great attributes he is quick, strong, clever and has a good eye for goal. Many believe next season will be a very big season for Joel Campbell at the Emirates and that would not be a surprise. He has had three seasons out on loan to gain valuable experience and is a lot better for it. Campbell has all the attributes to be a huge success in the Premier League but it begs the question why was he not called back last season in January as he had acquired a work permit by that stage.
The one worry for me now is that as Wenger looked on at Fortaleza and there maybe something telling him he does not need to buy a Striker, I would have to disagree. There is still a massive need for a world class Striker to add real depth to our attacking options. Mario Balotelli was on the score sheet against England last night and looked a threat all game even though he had minimal support something that struck a chord with some of Olivier Giroud’s performances last season.
As many fans feel very frustrated at the amount of business that appears to have been carried thus far, the performance of Joel Campbell will give a reason for some optimism.
thanks for reading
- Arsenal’s 2022/23 Premier League Fixtures Announced – Key Highlights
- Arsenal Transfer News – Pursuit of Man City’s Gabriel Jesus dealt major blow
- Can Arsenal qualify for next season’s Champions League after Tottenham fiasco?
- Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Southampton vs Arsenal Preview & Arsenal Transfer News Updates
- Arsenal April 2022 Preview: Chelsea and Man Utd stand in way of top-four finish
- Saka’s goalscoring record, Arsenal’s improved away form and Leno’s form
- Aston Villa vs Arsenal: Preview, Team News, Line-ups and Prediction￼
- Arsenal’s March 2022 Schedule & Predictions
- Lionel Messi heaps praise on Arsenal-linked Lautaro Martinez