Since his debut for the Arsenal Reserves back in February 2008 many Arsenal fans have been following the career of one Jack Wilshere, on that day he scored the only goal for Arsenal as they drew against Reading. The young midfielder only 16 years of age excited many and big things were expected.
Wilshere first came to prominence for most when he started a Champions League second round first leg tie at home to Spanish giants Barcelona, this was a huge turning point in the 19 year old’s career as he took centre stage and had the performance that many hoped for but little expected. Winning plaudits from pass masters Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta were to follow.
Since 2009 the gifted midfielder has had his fair share of injuries which have blighted his progress for Arsenal and England. Wilshere has suffered 19 different injuries including 12 ankle problems, he now appears to be over this issue that has seen him miss important sections of previous seasons.
Last season saw many a fan and sections of the media criticise Wilshere’s performances as he was overshadowed by the former Wales captain Aaron Ramsey who was in scintillating form, Wilshere only made 24 Premier League appearances, his lack of football started to harm his England place leaving many even questioning his Arsenal future.
This season seems a different story, Wilshere has admitted this is a “massive” season for him. He has played with his heart on his sleeve and showed a new found desire which has seen him put in some notable performances, none more so than his Man of the Match display in the 2-2 draw at home to Manchester City which saw him grab a well worked goal as he chipped England goalkeeper Joe Hart.
Wilshere was in good form again for England on Saturday evening as England swept aside Slovenia in a 3-1 home win, he is expected to return for Arsenal against Manchester United on Saturday evening at the Emirates where many will be hoping for a big performance from the England midfielder of whom so much is expected.
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison
- Arsenal agree contract extension with Emile Smith Rowe
- Tammy Abraham to Arsenal: Do the Gunners need him?
- Arsenal cancel pre-season trip to US
- Lesson from pre-season: What did Arsenal learn?
- Mikel Arteta reacts to draw against Rangers
- An overview on Arsenal’s Scotland preseason tour- player ratings for both games
- Three Premier League clubs interested in Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal predicted line-up against Rangers
- Tavares, Chambers, Tierney – Arsenal Team News against Rangers