Arsenal lost 1-0 to Everton on Friday due to an unforced error from goalkeeper Bernd Leno and Ian Wright described it as an amateurish mistake.
With the game delicately poised at 0-0, the North London club were starting to exert some serious pressure which could have led to an opening. However, that wasn’t to be the case as the German keeper let in a cross from Richarlison to trickle through his legs and into the net.
Ian Wright, who played for the Gunners back in the 90s and still remains the club’s second highest goal scorer, has slammed the keeper for lacking concentration. Speaking on Optus Sport(via Daily Mail), he said:
“You look at that and it does seem very amateurish, and I think that comes down to concentration. He does have spells where he’s very, very good. But I’ve seen him rush out, get sent off, give away penalties. He has these moments and that for me is a real moment there. It’s poor, poor, poor goalkeeping.”
The German has been found wanting on multiple occasions this season and this mistake has cost the Emirates side three points. If the Gunners secured a win, it would have helped them leapfrog the Toffees and move closer to the top four, but they find themselves nine points adrift.
Let’s not forget that he is capable of producing some brilliance in goal, but the 29-year-old seems to loose concentration at times. He has established himself as the number one keeper at the Emirates, following Emi Martinez’s move to Aston Villa but such mistakes won’t help his cause. The keeper will want to make amends for his mistake on Thursday.
Arsenal go into the Europa League semi-final on the back of a demoralising defeat. They must focus on putting in a good performance in the first leg against Villarreal. If they are able to do that, and Leno will have a part to play in it, the mood around the club will greatly improve.
- The Nicolas Pepe show – What Arsenal need against Villarreal
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: This is one of the biggest games of my Arsenal career
- Unai Emery praises Arsenal duo ahead of Europa League clash
- Mikel Arteta urges Arsenal players to embrace the Europa League challenge
- Arsenal legend claims current Gunners player won’t make his team
- Arsenal Predicted Line-up Against Villarreal
- Tierney, Lacazette – Arsenal Team News vs Villarreal
- Arteta refuses to rule Luiz out of Villarreal clash
- David Luiz could leave Arsenal this summer
- Bernd Leno could leave Arsenal this summer