Thomas Partey was Arsenal’s fourth costliest signing and the midfielder arrived from Atletico Madrid amid a lot of fanfare last summer. His career at the Emirates started off on a rocky note, but the Ghanaian is now starting to show off his true worth.
The 27-year-old has gone on to make 25 appearances this season and managed to establish his influence within the team. His game time was limited at the start of the season due to an injury, but the midfielder has stamped his authority with a combination of skill and strength.
Mikel Arteta prefers his team to move the ball from the back and build attacks. With Partey, the Spaniard has the right person to do this as there is no one better at the club in evading the opposition press. With incredible balance and calmness, the former Atletico man can get away from a player with ease,
This was quite evident in the win over Sheffield United where the midfielder got his first assist for the North Londoners. Receiving the ball under pressure, he left his marker reeling in his wake and then played the inch perfect pass for Alexandre Lacazette to score.
It was a great demonstration of what Arteta expects from Partey, to sit a little deeper and coordinate the attack. With a partner making runs ahead of him, it gives the Ghanaian the ability to move the game forward. The Gunners get to build better attacks as they have someone who is always looking to move the ball further up the pitch and is capable of always of finding the right pass.
Arsenal have been desperate to find a player with Partey’s traits and this kind of dual ability makes the midfielder such an elite talent. Based on the last few games, it appears that Arteta has found the key to unleash the full potential of the man who came over from Atletico.
- Willian’s departure – Impact on Arsenal and Reiss Nelson
- Willian to leave Arsenal this summer
- Arsenal keen on transforming squad with summer signings
- Arsenal interested in Scottish left-back
- David Luiz is set to leave Arsenal at the end of the season
- Leaked! Pictures of Arsenal’s 2021/22 away kit emerge on the internet
- Sander Berge interested in Arsenal move
- Mikel Arteta feels many Arsenal players were not at their best this season
- Mikel Arteta excited to take Arsenal forward
- Bernd Leno and Hector Bellerin could leave Arsenal this summer