Olivier Giroud returned to action at the weekend as he played the last 14 minutes in the 2-1 home loss to Louis Van Gaal’s Manchester United. Giroud reminded the Arsenal faithful what he can do as he picked up a 90th minute consolation goal, the French striker hit a sumptuous half volley from all of 18 yards as he left the United keeper David De Gea helpless.
The former Montpellier hitman has been a big miss for Arsenal this season and has left Wenger with a limited amount of options, Danny Welbeck has been ever present in Giroud’s absence thus far but Giroud gave Wenger food for thought with his cameo performance at the weekend.
The French international was a surprise inclusion in the Arsenal squad as he we not expected back in first team action until the turn of the year. Giroud broke his foot against Everton in August but has given the Gunners a timely boost ahead of an Christmas schedule.
Giroud has managed 2 goals from 3 appearances this season and Arsenal fans will be hoping that he can stay fit for the run in, this has been a tough season so far for Arsene Wenger with many calling for him to be sacked due to an awful run of form which sees his side languish 8th in the Premier League.
Giroud’s goal scoring record has gradually improved in his time at Arsenal. In the 2012-13 campaign he netted 11 goals in 34 League games and the following season he improved again socring 16 goals in 36 Premier League games and he will be looking to add more goals to his tally this season.
- Arsenal vs Norwich City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Arsenal’s chances of winning a cup trophy this season
- Arsenal’s September 2021 Fixtures preview
- Manchester City vs Arsenal: Premier League Preview
- Arsenal shouldn’t think twice about moving deadwood
- Lacklustre debut reaffirms need for creativity
- Arsenal reportedly interested in Bruno Guimarães: A further insight
- Arsenal 4-1 Watford: Match report and Player Ratings
- Arsenal interested in signing Inter Milan striker
- Former Arsenal player urges club to sign Manchester United target