Although yesterday brought a much needed three points for Arsenal and Arsene Wenger there are yet more injury concerns that will leave Wenger’s men without any recognised defender in reserve due to a lack of reinforcements bought in the Summer.
Kieran Gibbs has been in very good form this season and even earned a call up to Roy Hodgson’s England squad and featured in their 5-0 win against minnows San Marino earlier this month. Gibbs hobbled off against Sunderland yesterday afternoon raising yet more questions about training regimes, attitude and the lack of squad investment in key areas.
“It looks to me a hip problem but for everybody who is very concerned about our shortness at the back, I felt that (Nacho) Monreal and (Per) Mertesacker had an outstanding game,” Wenger said.
“Of course we have many players injured at the back but I think that overall we have done very well.”
These comments will only help fuel the discontent that many fans will be feeling that the real squad issues are still not being addressed. There is a level of denial and always has been with Wenger when it comes to being pushed on certain subjects.
This leaves Arsenal extremely light in respect of defenders in the first team set up. Injuries to French duo Mathieu Debuchy and Laurent Koscielny had both highlighted a serious lack of depth and now Gibbs absence is just an indictment of resources not being used in the appropriate way.
Arsenal finished with Hector Bellerin (RB), Per Mertesacker (RCB), Calum Chambers (LCB) and Nacho Monreal (LB). Debuchy is injured long term and Koscielny is missing for at least another 2-3 weeks.
- Can Arsenal qualify for next season’s Champions League after Tottenham fiasco?
- Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Southampton vs Arsenal Preview & Arsenal Transfer News Updates
- Arsenal April 2022 Preview: Chelsea and Man Utd stand in way of top-four finish
- Saka’s goalscoring record, Arsenal’s improved away form and Leno’s form
- Aston Villa vs Arsenal: Preview, Team News, Line-ups and Prediction￼
- Arsenal’s March 2022 Schedule & Predictions
- Lionel Messi heaps praise on Arsenal-linked Lautaro Martinez
- Arsenal Told to Let Alexandre Lacazette’s Contract Run Out
- Arsenal vs Burnley: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups