Former Arsenal goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez has revealed why he decided to leave Arsenal earlier this summer.
The Argentine decided to sign for Aston Villa in search of regular first team football and Arsenal could not guarantee him that.
Martinez did well to deputise in the absence of Bernd Leno but the German was still the number one shot stopper at the club and therefore he decided to move on.
Martinez was very impressive against Arsenal last time out and he will be hoping you have a successful season with his new club this year.
There is no doubt that Aston Villa have started the season better than Arsenal and it will be interesting to see if they can build on this and finish above the London club eventually.
At this stage of his career, Martinez needs to play regular first team football in order to achieve his potential and hold down a starting berth for his country.
The move to Aston Villa earlier in the summer was a necessity for him and he can hardly be blamed for his decision especially when Arsenal did not consider him as a key starter.
Martinez said: “I knew the club’s ambitions and the manager’s ambitions. They called me from day one after the win against Chelsea in the FA Cup Final.
“I just wanted to play first-team football and Arsenal could not guarantee me that. They would not say I was going to play in the first game of the season against Fulham so when I had that doubt I had to leave.
“Villa were the first option and the only one for me.”
- Breaking down Brentford vs Arsenal – betting insights & predictions
- A Must-Win London Derby – Arsenal Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Brentford
- Arsenal players in the international break
- Arsenal expected to make winning return to Champions League
- Arsenal’s Number 14 Shirt: Who Has Worn It and How Have They Fared?
- Arsenal flop Nicolas Pepe set to join Trabzonspor
- Arsenal this weekend: Man United set to visit the Emirates & transfers to expect before deadline day
- Will Arsenal Be Able to Keep Hold of Mikel Arteta?
- 3 players that Arsenal should target before the transfer window closes
- Preview: Arsenal vs Fulham – prediction, team news, line-ups