Arsenal will find themselves in the north of England on Sunday when they face Newcastle United. There is good news for the Gunners as some key players are expected to return, so let’s take a look at the team news.
The North Londoners would like to put their midweek defeat behind them and focus on getting a win against the Magpies. The hosts have done well to pull themselves clear of the relegation zone with a few crucial results.
As for the team news, the Gunners can look forward to having David Luiz back in the playing eleven. Kieran Tierney returned to training earlier in the week but wasn’t cleared to feature in the midweek game and the same might be the case against the Magpies. Mikel Arteta is unlikely to rush the full back for this game keeping an eye on next week’s semi-final second leg. It is the same case with Alexandre Lacazette who was in contention for the midweek game but didn’t make the squad.
The visitors will be happy that Joe Willock will not be playing for Newcastle. Ever since making a loan move to Tyneside, the youngster has been a revelation and helped the Magpies to some important points. Since it is the Englishman’s parent club coming to town, the forward will be ineligible for the game. This will significantly weaken the hosts and give the Gunners a better chance of winning.
Arteta will be hoping to try out a different attacking combination than the one that was deployed on Thursday. This will be done for two reasons. One is to give few players a rest and the other would be to see if a new set of attackers can provide the cutting edge. This has been a problem for the visitors in the past few weeks. They create chances but do not finish them off and then pay the price for it.
Arsenal and Arteta will go into this game with an eye on the Europa League semi-final second leg. If the Gunners can get the three points, it will be an impressive result and one that is capable of boosting the morale of the players. This will not be easy, but the visitors have the talent to pull it off.
- Arsenal reportedly interested in Bruno Guimarães: A further insight
- Arsenal 4-1 Watford: Match report and Player Ratings
- Arsenal interested in signing Inter Milan striker
- Former Arsenal player urges club to sign Manchester United target
- Atletico Madrid interested in signing Alexandre Lacazette
- Arsenal’s midfield dilemma: What can be done?
- Arsenal transfer round-up: Ramsdale, White
- The striker dilemma at Arsenal
- Arsenal beat Milwall behind closed doors: Match report and Player Ratings
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison