Jack Wilshere has found himself stepping into a new role for England in the last two Internationals and has looked accomplished, if anything he has been the best player on the pitch. So is he capable of playing their in an Arsenal shirt for years to come? the 22 year old midfielder still has a lot to learn if he is to be a long term success in that position but he has all the attributes to succeed. He is combative, has a good range of passing and works tirelessly for the team.
The position of Defensive Midfield is something that many fans have been frustrated with at the Emirates, bemoaning the fact that even now there has been no Holding Midfield player signed, something that has not been addressed since Gilberto Silva left the club back in 2008. Wilshere has similar attributes to the likes of Xabi Alonso and Andrea Pirlo so there is no reason why he can not grow into that role. All 3 are more passive types of Midfielders and like to set up attacks. Contrary to some peoples beliefs you do not need to be a “destroyer” to be a successful Defensive Midfield player, if you have good positional sense and are good at keeping possession then you are good enough to play in that position.
Arsenal currently only have one recognised Holding Midfield player at the club in the form of Mathieu Flamini who has been a good servant to the club in both of his spells but at 30 years of age consistency could well be a problem as well as not being able to replicate his form in the big games. It is time that Arsene Wenger tried something new with so many injuries at the club and a lack of options currently in this position it would make sense to give Wilshere a run in the team as a Deep Lying Midfield player and see what he can do on a more regular basis. There is no denying that his attributes would be more suited further up the field but with resources being stretched through injuries it can do no harm in trying a fresh approach.
- Arsenal beat Milwall behind closed doors: Match report and Player Ratings
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison
- Arsenal agree contract extension with Emile Smith Rowe
- Tammy Abraham to Arsenal: Do the Gunners need him?
- Arsenal cancel pre-season trip to US
- Lesson from pre-season: What did Arsenal learn?
- Mikel Arteta reacts to draw against Rangers
- An overview on Arsenal’s Scotland preseason tour- player ratings for both games
- Three Premier League clubs interested in Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal predicted line-up against Rangers