Arsenal goalkeeper Bernd Leno, in a surprising turn of events could be on his way out of the club this summer, as per reports in Football London.
The German joined the Gunners in the summer of 2018 and has established himself as the No.1 at the club. Despite making a few errors along the way, he has proven to be a reliable presence between the sticks and a solid shot stopper.
The report in Football London claims that the keeper has reportedly informed the club of his intention, which is to leave in the summer when the transfer window opens. It is not yet clear if Mikel Arteta is willing to cash in on the player but with two years left on his contract, it will put the Emirates side in a strong position in terms of negotiations.
When queried on the speculation that is surrounding his future last month, the keeper said that he is open to anything. Leno had the following to say(via Evening Standard):
“Not yet and at the moment it’s not the time to speak about the future. I know that I still have two years left on my contract and I’m also 29. For a goalkeeper, that’s not too old. I’ve still got some years to go. I’m very happy at the club. I don’t know what will come in the future, but I’m open to everything.”
The report also states that the shot-stopper is valued at around £22.5m. But based on the performances we have witnessed over the last couple of seasons, he could be sold for more. If the keeper was to leave, it will be difficult to find an adequate replacement for him given his quality. One aspect that works against him are the unforced errors, but the German makes up for that with some incredible performances.
Though Arsenal have been struggling this season, they could have been worse off had Leno not stepped up. In many games, he was the only thing standing between the North Londoners and defeat. This was evident in the Europa League semi-final last week when he made an important save to prevent Villarreal from taking a three-goal lead.
The North London club can generate some good amount of cash by letting him leave but replacing a player of his stature and importance will be tough. The club will need to think about this before making any decision.
- Arsenal legend claims current Gunners player won’t make his team
- Arsenal Predicted Line-up Against Villarreal
- Tierney, Lacazette – Arsenal Team News vs Villarreal
- Arteta refuses to rule Luiz out of Villarreal clash
- David Luiz could leave Arsenal this summer
- Bernd Leno could leave Arsenal this summer
- Santi Cazorla reminisces about time with Arsenal
- Arsenal Supporters’ Trust hold constructive meeting with Daniel Ek
- Santi Cazorla backs Mikel Arteta to succeed at Arsenal
- Daniel Ek has reached out to Kroenke family, Thierry Henry confirms