So the £25m had nothing to do with it right Arsene? Good to see the fans are now getting the blame for this?
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has hinted that the club’s fans are to blame for striker Emmanuel Adebayor leaving north London.
The Togo international swapped the Emirates for Eastlands yesterday, signing a five-year deal at the club and following Carlos Tevez, Roque Santa Cruz and Gareth Barry to Manchester City.
However, speaking to the Mail on Sunday, Wenger wished the striker well in his future career but blamed a lack of fan support for his exit.
“We have lost a great player and we wish him well,” said the Gunners boss.
“He’s done extremely well for the club. I don’t believe that last season he got enough support. That was playing a part in my mind and in his mind, certainly, as well.”
The Arsenal boss went on to say he felt the lack of support, which stemmed from last summer’s perceived flirtations with AC Milan and Barcelona, affected Adebayor’s confidence.
“I believe he wanted to do well but he didn’t find the confidence he had the season before,” added Wenger.
“There was a little resentment you could feel through last summer.”
Despite having lost the 25-year-old, Wenger insisted the Gunners could cope and would continue to compete for the game’s top prizes.
“Believe me, he’s a great player and he’ll show that again at Manchester City,” he admitted.
“Big clubs lose big players. Milan have lost Kaka and Milan will go on. Arsenal have always lost players and continued at the top level.”
Join our forum for more debate on all the events at Arsenal
- Breaking down Brentford vs Arsenal – betting insights & predictions
- A Must-Win London Derby – Arsenal Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Brentford
- Arsenal players in the international break
- Arsenal expected to make winning return to Champions League
- Arsenal’s Number 14 Shirt: Who Has Worn It and How Have They Fared?
- Arsenal flop Nicolas Pepe set to join Trabzonspor
- Arsenal this weekend: Man United set to visit the Emirates & transfers to expect before deadline day
- Will Arsenal Be Able to Keep Hold of Mikel Arteta?
- 3 players that Arsenal should target before the transfer window closes
- Preview: Arsenal vs Fulham – prediction, team news, line-ups