Arsenal are keen to trim the number of first-team players in the squad, and one player who they will try to move on is Reiss Nelson.
The England youth international has barely featured for the Gunners this term. One of the reasons why he has seen so little first-team action is due to the number of players stocked in his position.
The 21-year-old made his first-team debut back in 2017 and has four assists and goals to his name. He had a stellar campaign in 2018/19, when he made the switch to German club Hoffenheim and went on registering eight goal contributions in 29 appearances.
He has hardly replicated that form at the Emirates and is now considered surplus to requirements. Arsenal also need to raise funds for their quest to strengthen the slots at right-back, cover-up left-back, right-sided center-back, a winger, and possibly a central striker too.
Mikel Arteta had earlier revealed that Nelson had turned down a chance to leave Emirates on loan and instead opted to stay at the club to fight for his place.
“We ended up with a large squad at the end of the transfer market. We had a few plans in mind with Reiss. One of them was as well to send him on loan to get more minutes because of the competition we have upfront. The reality is he has been really good in training. He wants to stay here. He wants to fight for his place,” the Spaniard had said.
This is a player who can have a great future. But just not at the Emirates Stadium.
Article by Yash Bisht.
- Arsenal reportedly interested in Bruno Guimarães: A further insight
- Arsenal 4-1 Watford: Match report and Player Ratings
- Arsenal interested in signing Inter Milan striker
- Former Arsenal player urges club to sign Manchester United target
- Atletico Madrid interested in signing Alexandre Lacazette
- Arsenal’s midfield dilemma: What can be done?
- Arsenal transfer round-up: Ramsdale, White
- The striker dilemma at Arsenal
- Arsenal beat Milwall behind closed doors: Match report and Player Ratings
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison