Arsenal have announced on their official website that they will be playing a friendly against Scottish club Hibernian on July 13.
With the current season coming to a close, plans are being made to get the squad ready for next season. This pre-season game would also give the Gunners a first-hand view of Hibs left-back Josh Doig who they have been linked with.
Speaking to the club’s website about the friendly, manager Mikel Arteta said:
“We’re pleased to confirm our second game in Scotland as part of a week-long training camp that will help us prepare for the 2021/22 season.”
This becomes the second such friendly the north Londoners would be playing in Scotland. A match has been scheduled against current league winners Rangers on July 17 and speaking on this, the boss added:
“The matches against Hibs and Rangers will be good tests for us and we’re looking forward to playing against two strong opponents. Pre-season is an important time for the squad, and we’re delighted to have this organised early so we can get the most out of the two matches and the training camp.”
And on behalf of Hibernian, interim Chief Executive Greg McEwan had this to tell their official website:
“We are delighted to play host to Arsenal Football Club in July in what should be a fantastic glamour friendly for the club and one that we hope will see the return of fans to Easter Road as well.”
These games will take place immediately after the Euro 2020 and it will impact the team selection. A few of the Gunners’ players who will be participating in the tournament are likely to be given some time off.
Ideally, this would allow some of the younger talents to showcase their talents. In previous seasons this period has given us a glimpse of future stars with a good example being Gabriel Martinelli in 2019/20.
By the time Arsenal face Hibs and Rangers, there could be some new faces at the club. With the matches taking place after the transfer window has opened, it could the first opportunity to see a potential signing in action.
- Breaking down Brentford vs Arsenal – betting insights & predictions
- A Must-Win London Derby – Arsenal Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Brentford
- Arsenal players in the international break
- Arsenal expected to make winning return to Champions League
- Arsenal’s Number 14 Shirt: Who Has Worn It and How Have They Fared?
- Arsenal flop Nicolas Pepe set to join Trabzonspor
- Arsenal this weekend: Man United set to visit the Emirates & transfers to expect before deadline day
- Will Arsenal Be Able to Keep Hold of Mikel Arteta?
- 3 players that Arsenal should target before the transfer window closes
- Preview: Arsenal vs Fulham – prediction, team news, line-ups