Arsenal left-back Kieran Tierney is ruled out for four to six weeks, the official site of the club confirmed.
The Scotsman limped off in the match against Liverpool just before the half-time and was replaced by Cedric.
Reports emerged at the start of the week that Arsenal were fearful that the young defender could face a lengthy time off the pitch. Their fears became reality today as the defender will miss a month’s action.
The club statement read: “Kieran sustained ligament damage to his left knee during Saturday’s match against Liverpool. Surgery will not be required and it’s hoped that Kieran will be back in full training within four to six weeks.”
The injury could not have come at a worse time, as the Gunners try to fight the odds to win the Europa League this season after a woeful start to their Premier League campaign.
The London side face Slavia Prague on Thursday before clashing with relegation-bound Sheffield United at the weekend.
What matches will he miss?
If Tierney is out for six weeks, he will miss every match between the Slavia Prague game and the Crystal Palace game, currently scheduled on 15th May.
Between those two matches Arsenal play the Czech side twice, Sheffield United, Fulham, Everton, Newcastle, West Bromwich Albion and Chelsea.
They are also due to play two legs of semi-final, either with Spanish side Villareal or Croatian side Dinamo Zagreb.
This comes as a huge blow as Arsenal don’t have any direct replacement for the former Celtic captain. The Gunners loaned out the likes of Ainsley Maitland Niles and Sead Kolasinac in the winter transfer window.
However Cedric have provided decent cover, he is clearly not comfortable on the opposite flank. Putting Bukayo Saka there now looks like the most sensible option.
The 19-year-old emerged on the first-team scene last season through his stellar performances from the left wing-back slot. Thus, it won’t come as a huge surprise if Mikel Arteta decides to use his versatile player on that side of the pitch.
- Paris Saint-Germain interested in Arsenal defender Hector Bellerin
- Arsenal striker Folarin Balogun close to signing new contract
- Arsenal vs Sheffield United – Premier League Preview, Team News & Predicted Line-ups
- Mikel Arteta insists Aubameyang is totally commited to Arsenal
- Arsenal preparing concrete offer for Inter Milan star Achraf Hakimi
- Arsenal wonder boy in the squad for Europa League
- Predicted Arsenal XI against Slavia Prague(Europa League)
- Arsenal Team News ahead of Slavia Prague game
- Arsenal renew transfer interest in Wilfried Zaha
- Arsenal star out for ‘4 to 6 weeks’