Arsenal are getting ready for the potential departure of David Luiz. The defender’s representatives have begun getting in touch with possible suitors as he enters the last few weeks of his contract, as per CBS Sports.
Luiz arrived at the Emirates from local rivals Chelsea in the summer of 2019 and has gone on to become one of the club’s leading centre backs. His leadership and experience have been valuable to a defence that features many youngsters. The Brazilian also played a crucial role in the FA Cup win last year.
With the player’s contract expiring at the end of this season, there is no clarity over whether the North London club will offer a new deal. And sources have told CBS Sports that the players representatives are already looking at possible new destinations. This includes an offer that has come from an MLS club.
The report also states that the move to a club in the MLS could be unlikely as the player’s salary is too high, even for a designated player. This would go against the league’s salary cap rules as Luiz currently earns around $140,000-a-week. The Brazilian is also being linked with a move to Italian side Lazio.
Since moving from the west of London to the north, Luiz has impressed, particularly with his leadership and ability to be a mentor to the younger players. This is one of the qualities that manager Mikel Arteta admires about the player. And this season has seen him be one of the more dependable defenders for the North Londoners.
Arsenal do have other centre backs who can fill in the gap left by Luiz, if he leaves. But it will be difficult to replace some of the other qualities he brings to the team. In his two years so far, the Brazilian has been more or less a success despite making an error here and there.
- Arsenal’s transfer bid for Nabil Fekir rejected by Real Betis
- Marcel Sabitzer – The Bargain That Arsenal Need To Focus On
- Vinai Venkatesham at loggerheads with Arsenal over European Super League involvement
- How Kieran Tierney will influence Scotland at the Euros
- Arsenal make move for Argentine striker
- Arsenal prepare transfer offer for Premier League defender
- What are Arsenal’s Prospects for the 2021-22 Season?
- Opinion: Saving The Tollington Arms could be Arsenal’s easiest win this summer
- ‘Here as a forward’, Bukayo Saka speaks out on his role at Euro 2020
- Arsenal open talks to sign Argentine midfielder Rodrigo De Paul