Arsenal are getting ready for the potential departure of David Luiz. The defender’s representatives have begun getting in touch with possible suitors as he enters the last few weeks of his contract, as per CBS Sports.
Luiz arrived at the Emirates from local rivals Chelsea in the summer of 2019 and has gone on to become one of the club’s leading centre backs. His leadership and experience have been valuable to a defence that features many youngsters. The Brazilian also played a crucial role in the FA Cup win last year.
With the player’s contract expiring at the end of this season, there is no clarity over whether the North London club will offer a new deal. And sources have told CBS Sports that the players representatives are already looking at possible new destinations. This includes an offer that has come from an MLS club.
The report also states that the move to a club in the MLS could be unlikely as the player’s salary is too high, even for a designated player. This would go against the league’s salary cap rules as Luiz currently earns around $140,000-a-week. The Brazilian is also being linked with a move to Italian side Lazio.
Since moving from the west of London to the north, Luiz has impressed, particularly with his leadership and ability to be a mentor to the younger players. This is one of the qualities that manager Mikel Arteta admires about the player. And this season has seen him be one of the more dependable defenders for the North Londoners.
Arsenal do have other centre backs who can fill in the gap left by Luiz, if he leaves. But it will be difficult to replace some of the other qualities he brings to the team. In his two years so far, the Brazilian has been more or less a success despite making an error here and there.
- Breaking down Brentford vs Arsenal – betting insights & predictions
- A Must-Win London Derby – Arsenal Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Brentford
- Arsenal players in the international break
- Arsenal expected to make winning return to Champions League
- Arsenal’s Number 14 Shirt: Who Has Worn It and How Have They Fared?
- Arsenal flop Nicolas Pepe set to join Trabzonspor
- Arsenal this weekend: Man United set to visit the Emirates & transfers to expect before deadline day
- Will Arsenal Be Able to Keep Hold of Mikel Arteta?
- 3 players that Arsenal should target before the transfer window closes
- Preview: Arsenal vs Fulham – prediction, team news, line-ups