Arsenal are considering a move for Leicester City midfielder James Maddison as per a report from Football London.
The 24-year-old attacking midfielder had another outstanding season for the Foxes which ended with FA Cup laurels. They also qualified for the Europa League, helped by the playmaker’s eight league goals.
According to the report, the north Londoners are looking at Maddison as manager Mikel Arteta is a big fan of him. With Martin Odegaard likely to stay with Real Madrid, the Leicester midfielder has emerged as an alternate candidate.
Football London claim that the playmaker is at the top of the transfer list for the Gunners. To take him away from the King Power Stadium, they will have to put in a bid of around £60million. It also states that Arsenal’s local rivals Chelsea could be interested in the midfielder should Hakim Ziyech leave, but that is looking unlikely at the moment.
To pay back the COVID-19 loan the club had taken last year, the Gunners have taken another loan from Barclays and there are no spending restrictions on this, so this money can be used for transfers if needed.
Though it would take a lot to bring Maddison to the Emirates stadium, it would definitely be a game-changing signing. He is a player capable of transforming Arteta’s attack by bringing in a much-needed dose of creativity.
During his time with Leicester, the playmaker has shown his attacking prowess and he could replicate that in north London. The 24-year-old’s combination with Jamie Vardy was a treat to watch and could be an indication for the future. The same impact can be expected if the Englishman links up with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. This will go a long way in solving creativity issues upfront.
It is these kinds of moves that can help take a team back to where they belong. It might be a long time before a deal is agreed but the signs are encouraging. Maddison would be a marquee signing for Arsenal and this will help send a statement to their rivals. It also shows a willingness to improve the squad.
- Atletico Madrid interested in signing Alexandre Lacazette
- Arsenal’s midfield dilemma: What can be done?
- Arsenal transfer round-up: Ramsdale, White
- The striker dilemma at Arsenal
- Arsenal beat Milwall behind closed doors: Match report and Player Ratings
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison
- Arsenal agree contract extension with Emile Smith Rowe
- Tammy Abraham to Arsenal: Do the Gunners need him?
- Arsenal cancel pre-season trip to US
- Lesson from pre-season: What did Arsenal learn?