Arsenal midfielder Willian would prefer a return to Chelsea should he leave the Gunners this summer, as per a report from Sky Sports.
The Brazilian moved to the Emirates stadium from west London last summer, but his tenure at the club has not been a success. In the 37 appearances that the winger made this season, he ended up scoring only one goal and has found opportunities hard to come by at the end of the season.
As per Dharmesh Sheth of Sky Sports, the winger is among the players who could leave the north London club this summer, in order to raise funds to pursue other targets. If this were to happen, the midfielder would prefer going back to his former club.
Sky Sports also state that there is interest from other clubs in Europe as well as MLS side Inter Miami with the American team working hard on getting a deal done, but the number one option for the Brazilian would be the Blues.
Since the winger is under contract for two more years, the Gunners can get a good transfer fee for him. After signing him on a free, this would represent some kind of return on their investment.
The Brazilian’s season started on the right note as the winger got two assists in his first Premier League game. But since then, the player’s form has been in decline and eventually Mikel Arteta decided to give others a chance.
With players such as Nicolas Pepe and Bukayo Saka impressing on the wings, it will be difficult for Willian to get back into the starting eleven. It would be in the best interest of the player to look elsewhere.
The offer from Inter Miami is particularly intriguing as it would give the Brazilian a new challenge in a slightly easier league. Though he would like to go back to Chelsea, the Blues have a lot of attacking options and will find it difficult to accommodate their former player.
Willian transfer didn’t really work out for Arsenal and now would be the best time to cut their losses. The next destination for the midfielder will depend on who can tempt him with a decent offer.
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Breaking down Brentford vs Arsenal – betting insights & predictions
- A Must-Win London Derby – Arsenal Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Brentford
- Arsenal players in the international break
- Arsenal expected to make winning return to Champions League
- Arsenal’s Number 14 Shirt: Who Has Worn It and How Have They Fared?
- Arsenal flop Nicolas Pepe set to join Trabzonspor
- Arsenal this weekend: Man United set to visit the Emirates & transfers to expect before deadline day
- Will Arsenal Be Able to Keep Hold of Mikel Arteta?
- 3 players that Arsenal should target before the transfer window closes