Arsenal are in a tricky spot with regards to Mikel Arteta’s future after Thursday’s devastating loss against Villarreal. According to Mirror, the club have made a decision to stick with the Spaniard.
A dismal season in the Premier League was compounded by failure to perform in the Cup competitions. That culminated with the Europa League semi-final exit at the hands of the Yellow Submarines. This result has brought intense scrutiny on the current boss and there are questions being asked.
As per the Mirror, the North Londoners will be sticking with Arteta for now despite the fact that the club might not be playing European football next season and they are also heading for their worst finish in the Premier League since 1995.
It further claims that the club’s hierarchy are keen on rebuilding this summer and will provide Arteta will all resources to strengthen the squad. Some players are also reportedly doubting the capability of the Spanish boss as there has been no visible sign of progress since he took over.
Despite all the flak, there is a lot to admire about the way Arteta has conducted himself since coming back to North London. And the success brought by the FA Cup last season suggested that there was a lot of promise in this team and the man managing them. After significant investment was made in the summer, expectations were pretty high. There was hope that the Gunners would fight for Champions League.
That has been the most disappointing aspect in 2020/21 as Arsenal haven’t really been able to climb up the table. It has been a case of one step forward and two steps back with defeats derailing any progress that is made.
There is still a minute chance for them to qualify for the Europa League, but with the way they are currently playing it would be pretty silly to expect a miracle. Arteta will be at the helm for now but if results don’t improve, the owners might wield the axe.
- Arsenal vs Burnley: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Nottingham Forest vs Arsenal: FA Cup Third Round Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang OUT, Dusan Vlahovic IN – How Could Arsenal’s January Transfer Campaign Play Out?
- Arsenal’s January Fixtures Schedule
- Arsenal Transfer Targets For January 2022
- Arsenal vs Southampton: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Arsenal’s top-four chances this season
- Liverpool vs Arsenal: Premier League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Leicester City vs Arsenal: Premier League Preview & Predicted Line-ups