By Rachid Parchment
Arsenal will be at home at the Emirates Stadium tonight in a crucial 2nd leg Champions League Semi Final match against Manchester United. The Gunners trail 1-0 on aggregate and therefore need to win by at least two goals to go through. A 1-0 win would take the tie to extra time though.
Arsenal will welcome the return of top scorer Robin van Persie after a groin injury but Mikael Silvestre is still missing at the back, from a groin injury as well. Silvestre’s presence won’t be too missed by Arsenal fans though, I’m sure.
Manchester United will have Rio Ferdinand available after a rib injury in the first leg last week which reportedly made him cough up blood after the game.
Arsene Wenger didn’t practice penalties in training, for what seems to be superstitious reasons.
“No. I don’t believe [in it]. We practise penalties in training, but never the day before the game.
“If you practise penalties the day before the game, always one or two will miss. And then they will go into the game with that pressure.
“We practise penalties usually in training for fun but I’m not a big fan of it the day before the game.”
Many have been saying recently that Emmanuel Adebayor has been complacent and lazy in our attack but Arsene Wenger will be looking to start him again tonight. A decision I’m in disagreement with. I think Carlos Vela should be played tonight as he has a lot of pace and technical ability and looks a much hungrier player. Says Wenger:
“He works hard in training. He’s focused and he wants to do well. I believe they [the fans] question his commitment since the summer because he was injured and hadn’t score as many goals. But look at his recent efficiency in the Champions League and it’s impressive – six goals in eight games or something like that.”
Anyway, this is the squad I’m expecting us to put out tonight but with Arsene Wenger being so unpredictible your guess is as good as mine.
Sagna Toure Djourou Eboue
Walcott Song Fabregas Nasri
Adebayor van Persie
Prediction: 1-0 to the Arsenal to take it to penalties. United to advance to the finals on penalties.
I know you might be thinking I’m not very optimistic but this is just how I see it. I’m not gonna be biased. Feel free to leave comments whether in agreement or disagreement if you wish.
Well that’s it for today. Until next time, Come on Arsenal!!! We’re long overdue some success and you can move one step closer to bringing us some tonight!!!
Be sure to join our forums at www.arsenalaction.com
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Breaking down Brentford vs Arsenal – betting insights & predictions
- A Must-Win London Derby – Arsenal Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Brentford
- Arsenal players in the international break
- Arsenal expected to make winning return to Champions League
- Arsenal’s Number 14 Shirt: Who Has Worn It and How Have They Fared?
- Arsenal flop Nicolas Pepe set to join Trabzonspor
- Arsenal this weekend: Man United set to visit the Emirates & transfers to expect before deadline day
- Will Arsenal Be Able to Keep Hold of Mikel Arteta?
- 3 players that Arsenal should target before the transfer window closes