It is being reported that Arsenal are interested in signing Marseille‘s defensive midfielder Giannelli Imbula, as Arsene Wenger looks to add to his squad this summer.
Marseille’s 22-year-old midfielder was ever present for them last campaign, making 37 appearances in Ligue 1, helping his club to a top four finish.
Imbula is a wanted man
Arsenal are not the only club understood to be interested, it is believed that they will face competition from Inter Milan and local rivals Tottenham, for the French international’s signature.
It was originally assumed that with Inter Milan being “very close” to signing Geoffrey Kondogbia from AS Monaco, they would end their interest, but Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio has stated that Inter will try and land both.
Imbula is a tenacious, defensive midfielder who would add that much needed combative element to the centre of the park for the Gunners.
Imbula is the latest in a long list of holding midfield players linked with a move to North London; Morgan Schneiderlin, Geoffrey Kondogbia, Victor Wanyama and Grzegorz Krychowiak have all been linked with Arsenal in recent weeks.
Imbula will likely cost around £13 million, which would be very tempting for Wenger, who reportedly cooled his interest in his pursuit of Southampton‘s Schneiderlin, due to their valuation of the player.
The defensive midfield position is one that needs addressing this summer
There is a real need for Arsenal to strengthen in this department,Francis Coquelin was one of the stand-out performers last season at the Emirates, but apart from him there is not much else in the way of steel to protect the back four.
Mikel Arteta and Mathieu Flamini are expected to be retained for next season, but neither player will fill the back four with much confidence. If Arsenal are to cement their position as a top three Premier League club, and challenge the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City next season, additions are a necessity.
- North London Derby performance a cause for celebration
- Arsenal vs Tottenham: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Provisional Line-ups
- How And Where To Bet On Arsenal
- Arsenal vs Norwich City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Arsenal’s chances of winning a cup trophy this season
- Arsenal’s September 2021 Fixtures preview
- Manchester City vs Arsenal: Premier League Preview
- Arsenal shouldn’t think twice about moving deadwood
- Lacklustre debut reaffirms need for creativity
- Arsenal reportedly interested in Bruno Guimarães: A further insight