According to the Daily Star, Arsenal have had a £5 million bid rejected for promising midfielder Marcelo Brozovic. It is believed that his club Dinamo Zagreb are holding out for at least £8 million for the 22-year-old Croatian international.
“If someone wants one of our key players, it can only be with a memorable bid, if they knock me off my feet,” Dinamo manager Zdravko Mamic told Sportske.net. “That is my principle, and the numbers appearing in the media do not interest us.”
Brozovic is the latest talent to come from Croatian football. He signed a seven-year deal when he moved to Dinamo Zagreb in 2012 and has hit the ground running ever since. Big things are expected of him on the international stage; he has appeared for Croatia at Under 18, Under 19, Under 21 level – not to mention being named in Croatia’s world cup squad last summer in Brazil. He shone especially at Under 21 level, where he scored seven goals in as many internationals before being fast-tracked to the senior squad.
The Croatian midfielder is the latest in a long list of midfield players to be linked with a move to the Emirates. Morgan Schneiderlin, William Carvalho and Sami Khedira are definitely bigger names than Brozovic, but with Arsene Wenger tending to favour big money transfers in the summer, the signing of Brozovic would be a more likely acquisition for Arsenal this month.
- Mikel Arteta speaks out on team selection and Eddie Nketiah after Fulham draw
- Mikel Arteta offers injury update on Alexandre Lacazette
- Mikel Arteta vs Unai Emery – A comparison
- Ian Wright identifies perfect partner for Thomas Partey at Arsenal
- Granit Xhaka: Unexpected answer to Arsenal’s left-back crisis
- Arsenal vs Fulham preview: buoyant Gunners plot march up the league table
- Lucas Torreira is desperate to join Boca Juniors
- Eddie Nketiah and Reiss Nelson: The Forgotten Arsenal Youngsters
- ‘It is a joy to watch’, Mikel Arteta praises Arsenal duo
- Arsenal’s hope of playing European football next season hangs by a thread