According to the Daily Star, Arsenal have had a £5 million bid rejected for promising midfielder Marcelo Brozovic. It is believed that his club Dinamo Zagreb are holding out for at least £8 million for the 22-year-old Croatian international.
“If someone wants one of our key players, it can only be with a memorable bid, if they knock me off my feet,” Dinamo manager Zdravko Mamic told Sportske.net. “That is my principle, and the numbers appearing in the media do not interest us.”
Brozovic is the latest talent to come from Croatian football. He signed a seven-year deal when he moved to Dinamo Zagreb in 2012 and has hit the ground running ever since. Big things are expected of him on the international stage; he has appeared for Croatia at Under 18, Under 19, Under 21 level – not to mention being named in Croatia’s world cup squad last summer in Brazil. He shone especially at Under 21 level, where he scored seven goals in as many internationals before being fast-tracked to the senior squad.
The Croatian midfielder is the latest in a long list of midfield players to be linked with a move to the Emirates. Morgan Schneiderlin, William Carvalho and Sami Khedira are definitely bigger names than Brozovic, but with Arsene Wenger tending to favour big money transfers in the summer, the signing of Brozovic would be a more likely acquisition for Arsenal this month.
- Arsenal reportedly interested in Bruno Guimarães: A further insight
- Arsenal 4-1 Watford: Match report and Player Ratings
- Arsenal interested in signing Inter Milan striker
- Former Arsenal player urges club to sign Manchester United target
- Atletico Madrid interested in signing Alexandre Lacazette
- Arsenal’s midfield dilemma: What can be done?
- Arsenal transfer round-up: Ramsdale, White
- The striker dilemma at Arsenal
- Arsenal beat Milwall behind closed doors: Match report and Player Ratings
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison