It has been reported in The Metro that Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani is now a key target for Arsene Wenger as he looks to strengthen his striking options, with the transfer deadline fast approaching.
It was also stated that Cavani is open to a switch to the premier league after falling out with PSG coach Laurent Blanc last season, the forward was unhappy with being played in a wide role instead of his preferred centre forward position.
There has not been a formal bid made yet, but with the transfer window closing on the 1st September it is believed that the Paris club are readying themselves for a bid.
Benzema deal is now looking less and less likely
Karim Benzema is a name that has been linked with Arsenal all summer long, but now it looks like the Frenchman will stay with Rafa Benitez at Real Madrid for at least this season. Benitez has been vocal about the striker in the last month which would suggest that any chance of Benzema heading to the Emirates is very slim.
Reports suggest that Cavani would be available for around £35 million, which is £10 million less than it is believed Benzema would cost. PSG’s 28-year-old striker netted 18 times in 35 Ligue 1 appearances last season.
Giroud needs competition for his place
Olivier Giroud scored for Arsenal at the weekend, but there is still a need for more striking options for the Gunners who are short of recognised strikers after selling Lukas Podolski and loaning out Chuba Akpom and Yaya Sanogo this season.
Time is running out for Wenger to add a world class striker. After being linked with Benzema, Jackson Martinez, Carlos Bacca, Marco Reus, Mario Gotze and Cavani in recent weeks it is of huge importance that Arsenal show their intent for the third season running with a marquee signing.
- Arsenal reportedly interested in Bruno Guimarães: A further insight
- Arsenal 4-1 Watford: Match report and Player Ratings
- Arsenal interested in signing Inter Milan striker
- Former Arsenal player urges club to sign Manchester United target
- Atletico Madrid interested in signing Alexandre Lacazette
- Arsenal’s midfield dilemma: What can be done?
- Arsenal transfer round-up: Ramsdale, White
- The striker dilemma at Arsenal
- Arsenal beat Milwall behind closed doors: Match report and Player Ratings
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison