Arsenal are reportedly worried that they could miss out on signing Martin Odegaard on a permanent deal as a result of their European Super League fallout, as per The Sun.
The Norwegian joined the Gunners from Real Madrid on a loan deal in the winter transfer window and has gone on to become an integral part of the team in the short time he has spent in London.
The report in Sun claims that the North London club will find it hard to sign the midfielder on a permanent deal this summer. The Spanish club are not willing to help any team that has backed out of the Super League which is being spearheaded by Real Madrid president Florentino Perez.
The president is ‘furious’ that the six clubs from the Premier League including the Gunners have pulled out and this could be the factor preventing the Norwegian from coming back to the Emirates next season. But it remains to be seen what happens to the league itself as Perez told El Larguero a Spanish radio show via the Express:
“If anyone thinks the Super League is dead, are they wrong? Absolutely. We’re going to keep working and what everyone thinks is for the best will emerge. The project is on standby. The Super League still exists.”
It is clear from the games we have seen so far that Odegaard perfectly fits into the style that Mikel Arteta likes to play. The midfielder is adept at bringing others into the game and is not afraid to take on a shot. With the Gunners still fighting in the Europa League, it will give him more chances to showcase his quality.
Arsenal will certainly find it difficult to take Odegaard away from the Spanish club but if they can do so, it would be a great signing for the club. The player has shown in his short time at the Emirates that he is an elite talent that can influence games. We also have to wait and see what impact the Super League is going to have on the probable transfer.
- Atletico Madrid interested in signing Alexandre Lacazette
- Arsenal’s midfield dilemma: What can be done?
- Arsenal transfer round-up: Ramsdale, White
- The striker dilemma at Arsenal
- Arsenal beat Milwall behind closed doors: Match report and Player Ratings
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison
- Arsenal agree contract extension with Emile Smith Rowe
- Tammy Abraham to Arsenal: Do the Gunners need him?
- Arsenal cancel pre-season trip to US
- Lesson from pre-season: What did Arsenal learn?