It is being reported that Arsenal have reached an agreement with Spanish side Athetic Bilbao for the signing of highly rated Central Defender Aymeric Laporte, the deal would see the French under 21 star swap Spain for the Emirates in January for a fee believed to be £34 Million. Laporte enjoyed a stellar season last campaign making 35 appearances in La Liga and winning many plaudits from fans and pundits alike.
This is an encouraging sign that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger appears willing to spend in the January transfer window with many fans being disillusioned with the current transfer policy. Thomas Vermaelen who left for Barcelona in the Summer was never replaced and this has left Arsenal very light defensively. There have also been the unsurprising mass injuries that appear to go hand in hand with every campaign. Laurent Koscielny pulled out of France’s training session today which will be a big worry for Wenger who has already lost defender’s Mathieu Debuchy and Nacho Monreal in recent weeks.
Laporte is a defender that will excite the Arsenal faithful, he plays with experience way ahead of his years and is known for his great positional sense which is something that the Arsenal back four has lacked in recent seasons. This will be yet another signal of intent by the club who have shown they are not worried about spending big when a certain player becomes available. Laporte along with Chambers would be a very smart signing and a great investment for the future of the club.
- Breaking down Brentford vs Arsenal – betting insights & predictions
- A Must-Win London Derby – Arsenal Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Brentford
- Arsenal players in the international break
- Arsenal expected to make winning return to Champions League
- Arsenal’s Number 14 Shirt: Who Has Worn It and How Have They Fared?
- Arsenal flop Nicolas Pepe set to join Trabzonspor
- Arsenal this weekend: Man United set to visit the Emirates & transfers to expect before deadline day
- Will Arsenal Be Able to Keep Hold of Mikel Arteta?
- 3 players that Arsenal should target before the transfer window closes
- Preview: Arsenal vs Fulham – prediction, team news, line-ups