Arsenal are close to agreeing a transfer for Belgian midfielder Albert Sambi Lokonga as per Chris Wheatley of Football London.
The Gunners were reported to have made a bid for the Anderlecht player earlier, but it was rejected. Now, it appears that the 21-year-old could finally be on his way to north London.
According to Wheatley on Twitter, the English side are optimistic about a deal being wrapped up very soon. His tweet said:
“Arsenal are closing in on the signing of Albert Sambi Lokonga. As reports in Belgium have mentioned, the player wants to join #AFC with personal terms already agreed. Fee still yet to be agreed but optimism from all sides that a deal can be reached.”
Arsenal are closing in on the signing of Albert Sambi Lokonga.
As reports in Belgium have mentioned, the player wants to join #AFC with personal terms already agreed.
Fee still yet to be agreed but optimism from all sides that a deal can be reached. https://t.co/ILskGWGodt
— Chris Wheatley (@ChrisWheatley_) June 21, 2021
This was reaffirmed by journalist Kristof Terreur who mentioned on his Twitter account that Arsenal are the only club pushing for a move. The Belgian side want a fee in the region of €20m but they are aware that the player wants to move to England.
Terreur also states that Anderlecht need to sell someone to balance their books. The Gunners are expected to return with a second bid and personal terms with Lokonga have already been agreed.
Even at the price being mentioned, this would be a good deal for the north Londoners. The Belgian midfielder is an excellent prospect and will certainly add some quality to the existing choices at the Emirates stadium.
Central midfield is an area that needs more options and Mikel Arteta would be happy to have this kind of talent. Increasing the depth in the squad is one way to improve and it is good to see the Gunners take that route.
The second offer should be going through in a matter of days and the midfielder could be the north Londoners’ first signing of the summer. There is still a lot more to be done in the transfer market, but this is a good start.
The potential arrival of Lokonga adds to the list of promising youngsters already at Arsenal. It bodes well for the future of the Gunners to have so many exciting talents.
- Can Arsenal qualify for next season’s Champions League after Tottenham fiasco?
- Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Southampton vs Arsenal Preview & Arsenal Transfer News Updates
- Arsenal April 2022 Preview: Chelsea and Man Utd stand in way of top-four finish
- Saka’s goalscoring record, Arsenal’s improved away form and Leno’s form
- Aston Villa vs Arsenal: Preview, Team News, Line-ups and Prediction￼
- Arsenal’s March 2022 Schedule & Predictions
- Lionel Messi heaps praise on Arsenal-linked Lautaro Martinez
- Arsenal Told to Let Alexandre Lacazette’s Contract Run Out
- Arsenal vs Burnley: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups