It is being reported in the Metro that Arsenal are very “close” to completing a deal to bring Monaco’s midfield powerhouse Geoffrey Kondogbia to the Emirates.
Kondogbia has been linked with Arsenal a lot in recent days and it is thought that Arsenal face competition from Serie A side Inter Milan however new reports claim Arsene Wenger is set to win the race for the 22 year old midfielder.
Arsenal are rumoured to have bid £25 million for the French midfielder who would answer any defensive midfield problems Arsenal may have in their squad.
Francis Coquelin had an impressive campaign for Arsenal in that role but with Coquelin the only recognised holding midfield player it is important that Wenger adds to this area, an injury to the young Frenchman would see a return to that position for either Mathieu Flamini or Mikel Arteta who are clearly not good enough at the highest level.
Kondogbia has been compared to Arsenal legend Patrick Vieira and it is easy to see why, he is powerful, aggressive and dynamic which is exactly what Arsenal need in their midfield.
Any talk of Kondogbia would quash any rumours that went before regarding Arturo Vidal and with Kondogbia a lot younger and more of what this Arsenal squad needs signing the Frenchman over the Chilean would make more sense.
- Arsenal’s hope of playing European football next season hangs by a thread
- Europa League preview: Slavia Prague vs Arsenal
- Leno: ‘I am open for new adventures’
- Arsenal enter race to sign Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard
- Can Arsenal finish in the top 6?
- Alexandre Lacazette steps up for Arsenal against Sheffield United
- Arsenal cruise past Sheffield United in impressive fashion
- Martinelli has a ‘bright future’ at Arsenal claims Mikel Arteta
- What can Arsenal do about their right-back situation?
- Arsenal targeting Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard