Arsenal have announced that their pre-season tour of the USA has been cancelled after a small number of COVID positive cases popped up.
The Gunners were to set to continue their preparation for the upcoming season with a couple of matches in the United States. This was following a trip to Scotland where they faced off against Hibernian and Rangers.
In a statement posted on the club website, the north Londoners expressed their disappointment at this trip being cancelled. The club said:
“We fully understand what a disappointment this is for our supporters in America who were looking forward to seeing us compete in the Florida Cup as part of our pre-season build up. Our apologies also go to the organisers of the Florida Cup who had done a fantastic job making the preparations and our partners who had arranged events around our participation in the competition.”
And as for matches that could happen instead of the USA trip, Arsenal added in their statement:
“We are now making alternative arrangements in line with the Premier League protocols to continue our preparations for the new season. We hope everyone understands this difficult situation which is beyond anyone’s control.”
Arsenal News View
This is definitely disappointing from the club’s point of view as it disrupts the plans they had set in motion. These games are necessary for the team to get back into a state of being fit and sharp for the upcoming season.
But the fact that the Gunners have mentioned that alternate arrangements will be made is good news and we could have other games take up these slots. One of the things that fans were looking forward to during this trip was a glimpse of new signing of Albert Sambi Lokonga but they will have to wait a little longer for that.
There is still some way to go before the start of the Premier League so Arsenal should have enough time to be ready for the opening game against Brentford. Manager Mikel Arteta will want to make sure that this disruption does not prove to too much of a distraction for the squad.
- Atletico Madrid interested in signing Alexandre Lacazette
- Arsenal’s midfield dilemma: What can be done?
- Arsenal transfer round-up: Ramsdale, White
- The striker dilemma at Arsenal
- Arsenal beat Milwall behind closed doors: Match report and Player Ratings
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison
- Arsenal agree contract extension with Emile Smith Rowe
- Tammy Abraham to Arsenal: Do the Gunners need him?
- Arsenal cancel pre-season trip to US
- Lesson from pre-season: What did Arsenal learn?