Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has said that the club’s supporters can relax over the future of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who appears on the cusp of signing a new contract.
Aubameyang’s current deal with the Gunners expires in June next year and that has led to the constant speculation regarding his position over the past few months.
On a number of occasions, it has been reported that he has agreed to a contract renewal, but no official announcement has been made by the north London giants.
Earlier this week, the reliable David Ornstein confirmed through The Athletic that the forward will put pen-to-paper on a three-year deal, which will enable him to become the highest earner at the club.
When asked for an update in the press conference prior to the Fulham game, Arteta said that the club’s faithful should have nothing to worry about regarding their captain, he told: “I think they can be pretty relaxed”.
Aubameyang, 31, has been the Gunners’ top-scorer in the Premier League over the past two seasons with 22 goals apiece and he will play a key role in their quest to make the top four this season.
The club are scheduled to play the first game of the new Premier League season with an away trip to Fulham on Saturday afternoon and Arteta will be aiming to begin on a positive note with a victory.
The Gunners have traditionally struggled in the curtain-raiser and have won just three of the previous 10 games in the opening matchday of the Premier League campaign.
They beat Newcastle United 1-0 in their opener at St. James Park last term. The club have not achieved back-to-back opening day victories since the 2008/09 and 2009/10 seasons.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Five alternatives Arsenal can sign instead of James Maddison
- Arsenal agree contract extension with Emile Smith Rowe
- Tammy Abraham to Arsenal: Do the Gunners need him?
- Arsenal cancel pre-season trip to US
- Lesson from pre-season: What did Arsenal learn?
- Mikel Arteta reacts to draw against Rangers
- An overview on Arsenal’s Scotland preseason tour- player ratings for both games
- Three Premier League clubs interested in Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal predicted line-up against Rangers
- Tavares, Chambers, Tierney – Arsenal Team News against Rangers