The Dutch Celtic defender was speaking after his sides 2-1 win over Astra Giurgiu at Parkhead on Thursday and was being very coy amid rumours of a January departure.
“Arsenal are an amazing club,” he said “It’s a big club with a great history but so are Celtic and I’m very happy here just now. I just want to play well and we will see what happens in the future. There are stories but until there are bids I can’t say anything.
“I have ambitions but Celtic is an amazing club with a lot ofis no rush to leave but you never know in the future.”
Arsene Wenger is clearly in need of reinforcements in the new year all over the pitch but none more so defensively and Van Dijk would fit the bill perfectly. The 22 year old is expected to be available for around £10 Million, has good positional sense and has great aerial ability.
Van Dijk was bought by Neil Lennon in 2013 for just £2 Million from Groningen and has already showed his worth, the Dutchman was voted Celtic’s player of the year last campaign and will be very difficult to keep hold of. The board are unlikely to reject an offer of around £10 Million as they would favour making a profit on the player rather than investing in on-field achievements.
Arsene Wenger currently has an injury crisis with Mathieu Debuchy and Laurent Koscielny still injured, Nacho Monreal has been filling in at Centre back which has been calamitous at best. Wenger has been paying the price for not replacing Thomas Vermaelen and currently only has just 6 registered defenders in the first team squad which wouldn’t be anywhere near enough without any injuries.
- Alexandre Lacazette steps up for Arsenal against Sheffield United
- Arsenal cruise past Sheffield United in impressive fashion
- Martinelli has a ‘bright future’ at Arsenal
- What can Arsenal do about their right-back situation?
- Arsenal targeting Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard
- Arsenal keen on signing Brazilian youngster Matheus Martinelli
- Arsenal can sign Houssem Aouar on one condition, claims journalist
- Paris Saint-Germain interested in Arsenal defender Hector Bellerin
- Arsenal striker Folarin Balogun close to signing new contract
- Arsenal vs Sheffield United – Premier League Preview, Team News & Predicted Line-ups