As per latest reports, Arsenal have agreed a deal with Marseille to send William Saliba on loan to the Stade Velodrome.
This will become the third time the Frenchman has gone out on loan since arriving in north London in the summer of 2019. The centre back has spent the last two seasons in his homeland playing for Saint-Etienne and OGC Nice.
The move was confirmed by two reputed journalists. The first was David Ornstein who posted an update on Twitter regarding Saliba. He said:
“Marseille reach agreement with Arsenal to sign William Saliba on 1yr loan. #OM to pay #AFC loan fee but no option to buy. 20yo still needs to have medical before embarking on 3rd spell away since signing in 2019. No new contract discussed.”
🚨 Marseille reach agreement with Arsenal to sign William Saliba on 1yr loan. #OM to pay #AFC loan fee but no option to buy. 20yo still needs to have medical before embarking on 3rd spell away since signing in 2019. No new contract discussed @TheAthleticUK https://t.co/0CDDoyvlc1
— David Ornstein (@David_Ornstein) July 12, 2021
This update was echoed by French journalist Julien Maynard who also tweeted:
“Total agreement between Arsenal and Marseille for the loan of William Saliba. No option to buy. Medical visit scheduled tomorrow in Marseille.”
Total agreement between Arsenal and Marseille for the loan of William Saliba. No option to buy. Medical visit scheduled tomorrow in Marseille.
— Julien Maynard (@JulienMaynard) July 12, 2021
Arsenal News View
Though it is a bit disappointing to see that the youngster has not yet played for the club, this move ought to help with his development. The one good aspect of this deal is that there is no option or obligation to buy.
Saliba is a defender who is highly rated and there is belief that he will succeed if given a chance at the Emirates Stadium. But without European football in the upcoming season, it will be difficult for the 20-year-old to get many games to play.
This became a bit more apparent once the Gunners were reported to be interested in Ben White of Brighton And Hove Albion. The Englishman also plays in the centre of defence, and it would have limited the opportunities given to Saliba. The young centre back will be joining his countryman Matteo Guendouzi at Marseille. The north Londoners will be hoping that their defender comes back as a matured player.
Arsenal have made what they think is the right decision by sending Saliba out on loan again. If this deal goes well and the player shines, the Gunners will look back on this as a masterstroke.
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Breaking down Brentford vs Arsenal – betting insights & predictions
- A Must-Win London Derby – Arsenal Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Brentford
- Arsenal players in the international break
- Arsenal expected to make winning return to Champions League
- Arsenal’s Number 14 Shirt: Who Has Worn It and How Have They Fared?
- Arsenal flop Nicolas Pepe set to join Trabzonspor
- Arsenal this weekend: Man United set to visit the Emirates & transfers to expect before deadline day
- Will Arsenal Be Able to Keep Hold of Mikel Arteta?
- 3 players that Arsenal should target before the transfer window closes